This is a question that’s come up a few times again lately, so we’re recirculating the results of our last demographics survey (which we think is pretty fascinating, anyway, and always interesting to look at):
Ten Truths about Sexual Health
- The teen birth rate is down.
- The abortion rate is down
- Access to family planning improves maternal and child health.
- Sex education increases knowledge and decreases risks.
- Condoms work.
- Contraception works.
- Emergency Contraception (Plan B- One Step ™) works by preventing pregnancy. It does not cause an abortion.
- Access to a full range of contraceptives decreases the risks of sexual behaviors without increasing risky sexual behavior.
- Abstinence works while people remain abstinent. When they’re not, it doesn’t.
- Family planning clinics are not in business because of the high profit margin.
These ten concepts have been supported, substantiated, replicated or demonstrated over decades. Statistical results are based on scientific and/or medical standards. For my entire career, ideologues have taken a directly opposite stance to each and every one, by any and every means — except credible evidence.
Read it all here.